Guide for Avorion – How to Import 3D Models
NOTICE: As of (at least) 2017-08-12, the online Voxelizer conversion site changed its format, and the Avorion Converter can no longer read the XML files it outputs. If you edit the XML file from the website, you can search and replace all occurrences of “name>” with “object>.” But there is also some size limitation where large models that worked in the past may not work now.
NOTICE: As of (at least) 2017-10-14, the online Voxelizer conversion site changed its format and can now export directly to Avorion format! I will need to rewrite this tutorial a bit to accommodate that, but it will take some time to get to it.
This guide will walk you through the steps to import a 3D model into Avorion.
NOTE: Do not expect the model you import to be ready to fly or ever fly at all. The process converts the ship’s bits into small square blocks and is not at all efficient as an Avorion ship. However, it will at least get the model in-game as a reference object to create an Avorion-friendly version.
Blender Model Export
- In Blender, remove everything except the model you want to export.
- Export as .OBJ
Conversion to Voxel XML Format
- Open a web browser and visit http://drububu.com/miscellaneous/voxelizer/index.html
- Click the “open file” button and select your OBJ model.
- Use the slider and adjust the number of voxels to be used. I typically use max voxels.
- Click the .xml option and click the “save as xml” button and save to your computer.
Conversion to Avorion XML Format
- Start Avorion Converter as Administrator
- Click Open and select the newly saved XML file and click Convert.
- The conversion process will save to the same location but add “Avorion” to the name’s end.
- Put the Converted XML file into your Avorion ships folder: %appdata%/Avorion/ships/
- You might want to rename the XML file too at this point if you like
NOTE: It has been said that you might need to edit the XML with notepad and remove any 5 sizes because Avorion cannot handle fractions. However, I have not had to do this yet.
Import XML into Avorion
- Log into a server or single-player game. I recommend a single player in creative mode.
- Found a new ship, go into your saved ships, find the newly added ship, and click “Apply Plan.”
- You might want to be aware you can adjust the scale of the ship you are applying as well.
This is all that we can say about Avorion – How to Import 3D Models for now. I hope this post helped you. If there is anything that we should add, please let us know via comment below. See you soon!
- All Avorion Posts List