Guide for Cyberpunk 2077 – Simple Steps to Try for FPS & Overall Performance
After spending roughly 12 hours, I have found the best settings for game performance to gain at least 60fps most of the time, and I will try to explain it here just in case it could help other players who have similar problems as me.
After spending my first 6 hours with fps averaging on 40fps, I tried tweaking stuff to gain performance to no avail until I found a solution that works for me after spending a lot of time in options.
For note, I am playing on 1440p resolution with i7-9700F + RTX 2070S.
While in the game, I tried my own test where I barely got 40-45 fps even though it is not even a crowded place. While doing tweaking, I noticed that my fps didn’t even change after setting the preset to Low and believed it was an optimization issue rather than my own PC.
Eventually, I made it work by doing steps as below:
1. Choose the preset that you expect your rig should be able to run on. In my case, I choose Ultra, no ray tracing.
2. TURN OFF Film Grain and Motion Blur. These steps already gave me about 3-5 fps gain at most.
3. Set Cascaded Shadows Range and Cascaded Shadows Resolution to LOW. Now, this is where the charm works. Turning those options too low literally gave me at least a 10fps average with an unnoticeable change in overall graphic quality (at least for me, and I think you won’t notice it too until you started to nitpick).
4. TURN ON DLSS. Could you set it to AUTO? This is also a huge part of fps gain. I don’t put it to performance because the graphic will massively degrade, and inventory and map screen became too blurry.
5. Last but not least, after setting the options, EXIT the game, and relaunch it. Don’t just quit to the main menu, but quit the game completely and relaunch from Steam. I assumed some settings are not applied properly even if you quit to the main menu based on my experience.
Additional Steps for Nvidia Users
Further steps to be taken outside of the game settings for Nvidia users:
1. Check your Nvidia game driver and make sure it is the latest. This is very important as I missed the update on my first 3-4 hours of the game before noticing a new driver. Installing it mitigates a few of the performance and graphical glitch issues.
Additional Steps for Windows Users
Further steps to be taken outside of the game settings for Windows users: (as for note I use Windows 10 myself, version up to date)
1. Press Windows > type “graphic” > click on Graphics Settings. TURN ON ‘Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling.’ I need to restart the PC for it to take effect.
2. Press Windows > type “game mode” > click on Game Mode Settings. TURN OFF the Game Mode.
3. On the same window, click on Xbox Game Bar, then TURN OFF the Xbox Game Bar.
4. On the same window, click on Captures, then TURN OFF ‘Background Recording’ and ‘Recorded Audio.’
That’s all I have for now. I hope all those steps above will improve your own Cyberpunk experience as it did for me. It might help, it might not, but no harm in trying it. So please try it and see if it improves your game.
Additional info, my friend who uses AMD CPU + RTX 2060 also confirms that setting Cascaded Shadows Range and Cascaded Shadows Resolution to LOW does improve her fps performance.
Please feel free to try for yourself; you don’t have to pay anything to try those simple steps.
Anyone who wants to add more additional info or wants to ask and/or discuss stuff, please leave a comment. I would really appreciate it, and I will try to reply to any inquiries.
Additional Submissions From Comment Section
– If your CPU load is too high, reduce the ‘Population Density’ option in the Gameplay option tab.
– Check if you have the latest Windows 10 version (it was in 1909, updating to 20H2 helped me gain a few fps – DerGefallene).
– Right-click the Cyberpunk2077.exe and check “Disable fullscreen optimization.”
This is all that we can say about Cyberpunk 2077 – Simple Steps to Try for FPS & Overall Performance for now. I hope this post helped you. If there is anything that we should add, please let us know via comment below. See you soon!
- All Cyberpunk 2077 Posts List