Section 1: Engine Tweaks
- Download www.dropbox.com – https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2dmwkzhci0w1ka/tweaks.zip?dl=0
- Open steam, right click on SoD, hover over “Manage” and click on “Browse local files”
- Extract the zip file you downloaded and copy the content into the “Engine” folder
NOTE: This will help you by getting rid of SSAO (Ambient Occlusion) and other stuff (depends on spec – i.e. low,med,max,ultra)
Section 2: User Configuration
- Download www.dropbox.com – https://www.dropbox.com/s/0x80wbm6ctg4rv0/user.cfg?dl=0
- Once again right click on the game, hover over “Manage” and click on “Browse local files”
- Copy the file you downloaded into the SoD directory
NOTE: This will help you by disabling motion blur, mouse acceleration, smoothness and anti aliasing (FXAA).
Section 3: Properties
- You know by now how to enter the games directory by steam.
- Right click on StateOfDecay.exe and select “Properties”
- Select the “Compatibility” tab
- Under “Compatibility mode”, check the box beside the “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” and select windows 7 or 8.
- Under “Settings”, check the boxes beside the “Disable fullscreen optimizations” and “Run this program as an administrator”
- Click on “Change high DPI settings”
- Under “High DPI scaling override”, check the box beside “Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:” and select “Application”
- Click “Apply”
NOTE: If the Section 2 Tweak for mouse acceleration does not work, this will help get the game to perform better and get rid of the acceleration.
Section 4: Control Panel Settings
- Right click on your desktop and left click on “Nvidia control panel”
- Click on “Manage 3D settings”
- If you don’t have State of Decay in the list, click on “Add”
- Click on “Browse”
- In the directory of the game, double click on “StateOfDecay.exe”
- Now select “Anisotropic filtering” and choose one of the options (i.e 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x – depends on what pc specs you have)
- Once you select an option, select “Antialiasing Mode” and click “Off”
NOTE: I don’t have an AMD card and I’m not sure how you can do this but I have found anwww.amd.com – https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-012made by AMD on their website with photos and stuff so you can follow that and change the same settings (i.e Anisotropic filtering and Antialiasing)
NOTE #2: This will help you by getting rid of the blurry textures.
Section 5: Buggy video screen
- Right click the game (it’s obvious by now what you need to do)
- Double click on the “Game” folder
- Rename “videos.pak” into something else (i.e. novideos.pak)
NOTE: This will help you by getting rid of that buggy intro when you open the game.
Section 6: End
Here we are, at the end of my first guide 😛
I hope I helped you get a more enjoyable experience in this beautiful game!
I have left notes on every single section so you know what the tweaks/settings do.
Thanks for checking our blog. I hope the information you found about State of Decay: Year-One – State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition Optimization Guide helped you somehow. If you believe we forget to add something or update the post with more information, please let us know via comment below! See you soon!
- Check All State of Decay: Year-One Posts List